We are located along a scenic and relatively remote stretch of California's central coast, approximately 12 miles south of Big Sur.
Please call our Guest Services Office at 831-667-3000 if you have questions regarding your travel plans.
Flying to Esalen
Our closest airports are in Monterey and in the San Francisco Bay Area:
- Monterey Regional Airport (MRY) – 47 miles, approximately 75 minutes from Esalen
- San Jose International Airport (SJC) – 120 miles, approximately 2.5 hours from Esalen
- San Francisco International Airport (SFO) – 150 miles, approximately 3 hours from Esalen
Before You Drive
Please check road conditions for Highway 1 in Central California prior to departure, as there may be road construction causing intermittent lane closures and brief delays, or weather-related closures in the winter months. Use these interactive maps if you need help determining whether any trouble spots reported by Caltrans will impact your route. The Caltrans District 5 Facebook page can also be a helpful resource.
From San Francisco or Points North
- Take US-101 S.
- At Prunedale, take Route 156 west to the Monterey Peninsula and Highway 1.
- Take CA-1 S approximately 45 miles, passing Monterey, Carmel, and Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park.
- Nepenthe, a popular restaurant located on the ocean side of Highway 1, is 11 miles north of Esalen.
- Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park is three miles north of Esalen.
- Look for the Esalen Institute sign on the right side of the highway, at mile marker 32.4.
From Los Angeles or Points South
- Take Route 101 north to San Luis Obispo, then take Highway 1 north to Esalen.
- We are approximately 100 miles north of San Luis Obispo on Highway 1.
- When you reach Lucia, a bend in the road where there is a restaurant and motel, you are 10 miles south of Esalen.
- Look for the Esalen Institute sign on the left side of the highway, at mile marker 32.4.
Alternate Route via Nacimiento-Fergusson Road
In the event of a closure along Highway 1, an alternate route connecting Highway 101 to Highway 1 may be available via Nacimiento-Fergusson Road. This is a mountain road that is subject to closure during winter months. Get detailed directions.
Current Road Conditions
For traffic updates and other Caltrans projects in Monterey County, call (800) 427-ROAD (7623) within California and (916) 445-7623 from outside of California, or visit the Caltrans District 5 website.
Esalen Institute is located at:
55000 Highway 1
Big Sur, CA, 93920