- A relaxed and flexible attitude. During the pandemic, things are changing rapidly and we are all going with the flow.
- Activities you enjoy. There is no cell phone service and very little Internet access, which makes this a unique time to focus on new and existing hobbies.
- Snacks, food and beverages that do not require refrigeration are fine to bring to Esalen at this time. While we will serve three large meals per day, you may want to snack in between or have your favorite item on hand.
- There is no cell service in our area, so please bring quarters, a calling card or a prepaid minutes plan if you intend to use the payphones.
Accommodations can be a little rustic and the coastal weather unpredictable so we recommend bringing a few items to make your stay with us comfortable and safe. Many of these items are also available in our bookstore.
- Warm layered clothing
- Alarm clock
- Hair dryer
- Medications (there is no local pharmacy in the area)
- Toiletries (please remember to bring shampoo and conditioner)
- Water bottle (non-glass)
- Hiking shoes / sneakers
- A watch
What to Leave at Home
- Candles, incense or anything flammable as the fire danger in our area is significant.
- Any illicit drugs as we have a strict anti-drug policy.
- Pets which are not service animals.
- Expensive valuables as we do not have safes and cannot guarantee their safety.